Back in 1850 the area had the third greatest urban population of Germans outside of Vienna and Berlin, recognized as "Little Germany". Irish immigrants moved into the neighborhood starting around the 1850s, and in the early 1900s, Italians and Jews followed. In the late 1960s, an incursion of beatniks and hippies, led to the choice of the name “East Village” to make a distinction of the area, which was once lumped together with the Lower East Side. The community also became linked with the counterculture, art and the punk movement in the 1970s. Today, brand-new, glass-walled condos have been shoehorned in among the old tenements, and gardens are protected from development by the city’s Community Garden Trust. East Village housing consists mostly of early-to-mid-20th-century low-rise buildings, townhouses, and loft buildings. Landmarks in the neighborhood include the New York City Marble Cemetery, the Yiddish Art Theater, Webster Hall, La Plaza Cultural and more.